04 May 2006

Brandtson-Nobody Dances Anymore-For a Reason


So I've been a loyal brandtson fan since the late '90s and absolutely love anything they record. I'm trying to tell myself that as I listen to their new disc: Hello, Control. Brandtson's full length LPs are usually always a step in a new direction, but this...well...where do I start?

This album is chock-full of dance beats and computer synth stuff-probably mostly due to the new bass player, Adam Boose-which is different to say the least. The guitars take a back seat on this album, and the all of the drum beats sound fairly similar. Luckily we still have the continually amazing harmonies of Myk and Jared, but in a different vein this time. Some of the melodies are so catchy you find yourself humming them in shower and then as soon as you get out of the car to buy more coffee at Wal Mart (trust me, I know, it happened about an hour ago).

I've been reading other reviews on the internet and most everyone agrees--except for the "Editorial" reviews who all say this is "Brandtson's strongest album to date." I'm not quite sure that it's a dud, but it's not their strongest album to date (ever heard of a little thing called "Fallen Star Collection"?). For now I'm content to try to let it grow on me. The songs that I find myself enjoying so far are "Earthquakes and Sharks" and "Parallels," but some of them I had to skip over after hearing them two times already, alas we'll see how it goes. If anyone else has heard the album please make your thoughts known.

To end on a hopeful note, chances are that their next album will sound completely different anyway--that's what they do--and they're good at it. Also, the pic at the top is one that I took at Cornerstone a couple years ago, and it's only fuzzy because I used the crappy scanner in the library, my apologies. Anyhow, they always put on a good show there. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home