22 September 2005

Dirty Words

No I don't mean four letter words that you can get fined for saying on campus, unless it's in class with Dr. K or someone cool like that. I mean that there are certain words around this (Geneva's) environment that instantly cause a stir, and I find amusing and troubling at the same time. Let me give you an example.

When someone prays for the state of our nation and thanks God for the gifts that he has given President Bush to lead our country, there is not necessarily anything wrong with that; except that someone has to make the comment that, "We're not all Republicans here and we don't all think that Bush should be the President." I have to admit, I don't think I'm a Republican either, even though that's what I'm registered in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Let's just say that the all-dreaded Poli Sci class has been more helpful than painful. But it does raise a lot of questions, how much should the government be involved in the economy? How much should the church be involved in politics and social issues? I don't know. Hopefully I'll figure some of those questions out a little bit.

Anyway, the Republican taboo was the obvious example. Then there are others like Exclusive Psalmity, Praise and Worship, and one of my personal favorites Drinking. Now, I am stating that these are right or wrong, but there's just something to think about when all Christians want to do is debate each other over rather trivial things.

Anyway, that's what was on my mind. I'm going to ride my bike.
May the Peace that passes all understanding be upon you.

-z.james

3 Comments:

Blogger Broadband Guy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

zachary -
i couldn't agree more with you in regards to "dirty words." that was one of the most frustrating things for me at geneva. i felt like if i said anything that challenged someone in their faith - or even if i was just playing devil's advocate with them - they jumped down my throat and said that i was talkin' smack or just plain heresy. but the thing that makes me think is - "why are we ("christians" - though you know me and i hate the label) so caught up in the trivial things that it keeps us from doing what God has called us to do - love Him - love our neighbors - and love each other?" what the hell kind of an example are we setting if we're just constantly bitching at one another?!

something to think about.
you're awesome zach. i'm hangin' out with dix - he came down to speak at a retreat for my youth group and we were totally talking about how cool you are! we miss you and love you, man!

love,
jenna

4:13 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Okay, what's up with the spam comments now? that's so frustrating! gosh!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home